Monday, July 14, 2014

Note to My Freshman Self

Senior year is approaching so quickly and I'm excited! We go back to school August 4th, which is crazy and way too early. I can't believe I'm the same age as the seniors were when I was a freshman. They seemed so old! One of the first privileges you have as a senior in student council here is running the freshman orientation. I really want to give the girls in my group some advice that will help them in more than just getting around the school. I have until August 1st (my birthday!!) and I've been thinking about it a lot lately. I think the best way to do this is to give some tips to my freshman self. I figured I would share with y'all just in case there are any upcoming freshman or even sophomores that stumble on this post!

               


These are the least embarrassing throwbacks...

Dear Freshman Ashlee,

1. Seniors are friends, not food boyfriends.
The boys in the senior class are beautiful, I know. You're going to be the only freshman girl in a class full of them. They're going to flirt and joke around with you. You'll feel so special and cool for attracting older boys but LEAVE IT AT THAT. Even if you're really mature for your age, you still are in two completely different places in life right now. They're getting ready to embark on their own journey in college and you are just beginning your journey though high school! It's setting yourself up for failure. You can flirt around with them, but don't do much more. You could really screw up your reputation. If a senior (or older) guy is considering dating a freshman in high school, there is usually a BIG reason he can't find a girl his own age to date. 

2. Your friends will change.
Remember the girl who told your friend group that you all wouldn't even talk to each other after freshman year? When you all vowed to not let it happen to you? You should believe her. High school forces you to grow up a little bit. Especially combining with a whole other school, there are so many people to meet and become friends with. It's not a bad thing though.

3. Stay close to the sophomores.
You're on the dance team this year, so you're good friends with the sophomores. Keep them close because it'll get you out of a lot of the usual freshman troubles. Your backpack won't get ziptied or thown into the middle of the pit. Homecoming week during lunch, seniors will attack the freshman side of the pit with dodgeballs. You'll be sitting with the sophomores and be saved. Thank them later.


4. Hold onto the people you love.
This seems really cliché. It is really cliché. I don't care though, it would save you a lot of crying yourself to sleep. You try to just let people go when it becomes hard for you but fight for them. Please fight for them. You'll regret it years later when you're missing your best friend from freshman year, or when your on-and-off boyfriend since freshman year finally is happy with a new girl. 

5. Take every opportunity given to you.
You're beautiful and smart and have these four years ahead of you to make whatever you'd like out of it. 
Take on every opportunity you stumble upon by the horns. Be fearless. Make straight As. Take that research opportunity you'll get senior year.. (You do. (; ) Don't be scared to stay out a little bit later than curfew one night. Take chances. Be risky. Try new things. 
Remember, life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Best of luck to you these next four years, Senior Ashlee

P.S. I still think I peaked freshman year.. So enjoy it.

I hope this at least helps someone! If you're an underclassman reading this, comment and tell me! I'd love to hear from you! And if you know a freshman girl scared about high school, show her this!




2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that it's a wonderful idea to make older friends! They will look out for you, and also help keep some of those skeezy senior boys away ;) Hope your senior year is amazing!

    XX, SS || A Little Seersucker Sass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! Wish I had read this as a freshman, ha ha. Great ideas!

    XO, Katelyn // asprinkleofkate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete